The Queen's Hall started off life as the church of Newington and St Leonard's in 1823 and continued as a place of worship until 1976.
The closure coincided with a search by the Scottish Baroque Ensemble (now the Scottish Ensemble), the Scottish Philharmonic Singers and the Scottish Chamber Orchestra for performance and rehearsal premises. An appeal was launched in 1977 and after raising £850,000 to convert the church to a concert hall, The Queen's Hall was officially opened by HM Queen Elizabeth II on 6 July 1979.
Since then the building has been home to a different form of worship - to great music performed by world-class artists.
The Story of The Queen's Hall
This is a 16 page, A5 booklet that was sold here during the 1980s. It details the history of the building from its commissioning up until the opening concert in July 1979. It is now out of print but you can download a scanned copy below.
Opening Night souvenir programme
The 28-page souvenir programme for the opening concert of The Queen's Hall attended by HM Queen Elizabeth II on 6 July 1979.
Fundraising leaflet from 1979
A leaflet produced in 1979 as part of the successful fundraising campaign for the William Gray Chamber Organ.